Won 19 races on NASCAR's Circuit.
First driver to break the 200 mph barrier
(Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway, March 24, 1970).
- 1980 Daytona 500 with an average speed of 177.6
mph (a record that still stands)
- Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte, North Carolina (1972-1973)
- Talladega four times (1975 (2), 1976, 1980)
- Charlotte four times (1967, 1968, 1972, 1973)
- Darlington (1970 & 1971)
- Daytona (1980 & 1983)
- Atlanta (1975 & 1979)
First driver to win the Big Four (Daytona, Talladega, Darlington
Ranks ninth on NASCAR's all-time list for top-five finishes
(202) and top-10 finishes (311).
Ranks 10th on the all-time list for pole positions with 40.
Career earnings: $3,995,500
Inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association's
Hall of Fame at Darlington, (S.C.) Raceway (1997).
Inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in
Talladega, Alabama. (1997)
Inducted into Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway Court of Legends
Television color commentator for TNN's
NASCAR race telecasts.